When it comes to games to play while camping, the options are as vast and varied as the great outdoors themselves. From classic outdoor activities to engaging board and card games, there is no shortage of ways to create unforgettable memories during your camping trip.
In this guide, we’ll look at a variety of entertaining camping games that can appeal to different preferences and age groups. Whether you’re seeking active pursuits or more relaxed pastimes around the campfire, our selection has something for everyone.
We’ll delve into exciting outdoor challenges such as cornhole and ladderball, then shift gears towards family-friendly board and card games perfect for passing time in between hikes. For those who love bonding over shared experiences by the firelight, we have compiled an array of campfire-focused activities like nature scavenger hunts and stone skipping contests.
Water enthusiasts can look forward to water-based competitions like stand-up paddleboarding races while fans of group dynamics will enjoy classic party favorites including charades and Mad Libs. Finally, we’ve also included nighttime adults-only options for when the kids are fast asleep in their tents.
No matter what type of camper you are or who you’re traveling with on your adventure, these favorite camping games promise hours of entertainment throughout your stay in nature’s playground.
Outdoor Camping Games
Upgrade your camping experience with these fun outdoor games suitable for all ages, perfect for any camping trip.
- Cornhole: A classic game that’s easy to set up and great for both kids and adults.
- Ladderball: Exciting game involving throwing bolas onto a three-rung ladder.
- Horseshoes: A timeless outdoor activity that requires minimal equipment.
- Polish Horseshoes/Beersbee: Entertaining variation of frisbee that adds extra challenge.
- Lawn Jenga: Take the classic indoor game outdoors with oversized wooden blocks.
- Flashlight Tag: Fun nighttime activity that combines hide-and-seek with tag.
- Nature Tic Tac Toe: Eco-friendly twist on this beloved pastime.
- Frisbee Golf (Frolf): Set up makeshift holes around your campsite using trees, rocks, or other natural elements as targets.
- Kickball Kan Jam: Unique combination of kickball and frisbee that requires teamwork, coordination, and strategy.
Board and Card Games for Camping Trips
When camping, it’s always a wise choice to have some board and card games ready for those occasions when you’d like to take it easy around the picnic table or in your tent.
- Catch Phrase: This exciting game is great for groups of all sizes and can be played both indoors and outdoors.
- Monopoly Junior: A more accessible version of the classic game, Monopoly Junior is perfect for younger players.
- Ticket To Ride: This popular board game has gained popularity in recent years due to its strategic gameplay.
- Uno Attack: Add some excitement with this fast-paced twist on the classic Uno card game.
- Phase 10: A rummy-style card game where players work through ten different phases.
- Exploding Taco: This silly card-based strategy game will keep everyone laughing.
- Goat Lords: A fun and unique card game where players build their goat herds by strategically playing cards.
Remember to pack games that are easy to transport and don’t have too many small pieces that can get lost.
Cozy evenings around the campfire call for special games designed specifically for this setting.
One such game is Toasted Roasted, which adds extra excitement during those memorable moments by the fire pit.
Playing fun camping games like these can make your trip even more enjoyable and help create lasting memories with friends and family.
Players compete to be the first to “toast” three marshmallows on their own campfire in Toasted or Roasted, a card game where they draw cards that either assist them in building their fire or foil other players’ efforts.
The goal of the game is to be the first player to “toast” three marshmallows on their own campfire.
Players take turns drawing cards, which can either help them build their fire or sabotage others’ fires.
This exciting game works well as both an icebreaker activity and a way to pass time during quiet nights under the stars.
In addition to Toasted Roasted, there are many other great camping games you can play around the campfire:
- Mafia Murder Winking Telephone Signals Firefly Cheers Governor: This nighttime adults-only drinking game involves making silly rules as you go along, providing endless entertainment while unwinding with friends after dark.
- Classic Campfire Telephone: A family-friendly version of telephone played in a circle where each person whispers what they hear from one person into another’s ear until it reaches back at its originator; often resulting in hilarious miscommunications.
- Glow-in-the-Dark Water Bottles: Create your own glowing water bottles by placing glow sticks inside them and use these as game pieces for a nighttime scavenger hunt or other outdoor games.
Playing campfire games is an excellent way to bond with your fellow campers, share laughs, and make lasting memories.
So next time you’re camping, don’t forget to pack some of your favorite camping games like Toasted Roasted or Classic Campfire Telephone to ensure everyone has a great time together outdoors.
Letterboxing Adventure Game
Looking for a unique and engaging activity during your camping trip? Try letterboxing – a fun game that combines treasure hunting, puzzle-solving, and creativity.
In letterboxing, players search for hidden containers called “letterboxes” using clues provided by others. Finders record their visit in a logbook and use a rubber stamp to mark their personal logbooks as proof of discovery.
- How it works: To get started, you’ll need a notebook, ink pad, and custom rubber stamp. Search for nearby letterboxes on websites like Atlas Quest or Letterboxing North America, and follow the clues provided.
- Making it fun: Create themed challenges based on specific locations at your campsite, like nature-based riddles or scavenger hunts that lead participants from one clue location to another before ultimately discovering the hidden letterbox.
- Packing tips: Pack a small backpack with essentials like water, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, and your letterboxing supplies.
Letterboxing is a super fun way to spend time outdoors during your camping trip and encourages team-building and problem-solving. In addition, letterboxing is a great way to enjoy the outdoors while being mindful of nature.
Give this exciting game a try on your next camping adventure and discover hidden treasures along the way.
Water-Based Camping Games
Looking for some fun camping games to play near the water? Look no further.
Try stand-up paddleboarding for a unique way to explore the water and get some exercise.
Challenge your friends to see who can skip their stone across the water the most times.
- Canteen Water Relay: Race against each other using canteens filled with water – no hands allowed.
- Glow-in-the-Dark Water Bottles: Play nighttime games like capture the flag or hide-and-seek with glow-in-the-dark water bottles.
- Water Balloon Toss: See who can toss a water balloon without it breaking.
Remember to prioritize safety by wearing appropriate gear and knowing how to swim.
Classic Group Games for Camping Trips
Engage your brain and have endless amusement with classic games like Charades and Mad Libs during your camping trip.
Act out words or phrases without speaking and guess what it is within an allotted time frame – perfect for all ages around the campfire or picnic table.
Create hilarious stories by filling in blanks with random words – super fun when you use nature-inspired themes and vocabulary from your surroundings.
Mad Libs books can be found online or create your own templates before embarking on your great outdoors adventure.
Waterproof Playing Cards
Play card games anywhere with waterproof playing cards – even if there’s rain during your camping trip.
These durable cards resist moisture and dirt, ensuring they stay clean throughout countless rounds of Poker, Go Fish, Rummy, Spoons, or any other card-based games you love to play.
By incorporating these classic group games into your next camping trip, you’ll create unforgettable memories while enjoying the great outdoors with friends and family. So grab a deck of waterproof playing cards or prepare some Mad Libs templates before setting off on your adventure.
Nighttime Adults-Only Camping Trip Games
Unwind with friends under the stars and enjoy a few laughs with these nighttime games.
Act like a drunk child while others guess what you’re mimicking in this hilarious drinking game.
Just A Minute
Speak about a random topic for exactly one minute without hesitation or repetition in this exciting game.
Shag Marry Kill
Choose three people and decide which of them you would shag, marry, or kill in this classic party game.
Tell jokes or make funny faces without laughing in this super fun challenge.
Mafia Murder Winking Telephone Signals Firefly Cheers Governor Drinking Game
- Mafia: A thrilling group game involving deception and strategy.
- Murder Winking: An exciting variation on Mafia where players communicate through winks instead of words.
- Telephone Signals: A fun twist on the classic game of Telephone, where players pass a message through hand signals instead of whispering.
- Firefly: Catch “fireflies” (glow sticks) in the dark while avoiding being caught by the “hunter.”
- Cheers Governor: An entertaining drinking game that gets more challenging as you go.
No matter which games you choose to play during your nighttime camping adventure, these adults-only activities are sure to create lasting memories with friends around the campfire under the stars.
Family-Friendly Camping Activities for Kids
Make your camping trip memorable with these fun camping games and activities that will keep your kids engaged and entertained.
Explore nature and have fun with scavenger hunts by creating a list of items to find around the campsite or nearby trails.
Glow-In-The-Dark Water Bottles
Add some magic to nighttime hydration with glow-in-the-dark water bottles made using glow sticks.
Prevent scratching and add creativity to your day by having your kids decorate adhesive bandages with markers or paint pens.
Question Paper Plate Toss & Flashlight Hide-and-Seek
- Write questions on paper plates and toss them like frisbees in the Question Paper Plate Toss game.
- Make hide-and-seek more exciting with Flashlight Hide-and-Seek.
Finger Puppet Show & Canteen Water Relay
Encourage creativity and teach outdoor skills with these two engaging games:
- Create finger puppets from materials found around the campsite and put on a show by the campfire.
- Race to fill up canteens at a water source and carry them back without spilling any water in the Canteen Water Relay.
Classic Campfire Telephone & Family LOVE Marshmallow Toss
Bond with your family over these classic camping games:
- Play Campfire Telephone by whispering messages around a circle until they reach their original sender.
- Have fun with the Family LOVE Marshmallow Toss by tossing marshmallows into each other’s mouths at varying distances.
FAQs in Relation to Games to Play While Camping
What are camping games?
Camping games are fun activities that add excitement to your camping trip, such as outdoor games like cornhole or ladderball, board and card games for downtime, and nighttime adults-only games.
How to make your campsite fun?
Plan various activities like hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking/canoeing, nature photography, cooking over an open fire, and creating a cozy atmosphere with comfortable seating areas around the fire pit.
What other activities can you do when camping?
- Scavenger hunts using glow-in-the-dark items or mosquito stickers
- Imaginative play with flashlight hide-and-seek or finger puppet shows
- Group activities like canteen water relay races and marshmallow tosses
- More ideas here.
How to keep kids entertained while camping?
Organize fun activities like scavenger hunts, imaginative play, and group activities to engage them physically and mentally.
Overall, there are many fun and engaging games to play while camping. Whether you prefer outdoor activities like cornhole and frisbee golf, classic group games like charades and Mad Libs, or brain teasers and conversation starters, there is something for everyone.
Board and card games can also be a great option for downtime in the tent or RV. And don’t forget about campfire-focused games and water-based activities! With so many options available, your camping trip is sure to be filled with laughter, excitement, and plenty of memories made through these awesome games to play while camping.