Pennsylvania Paternity

Posted by admin on April 27th, 2006

In Pennsylvania, when a child is born out of wedlock there is no legal father. If the father wishes to be the legal father of the child paternity must be established. Before the father’s name can be placed on the birth certificate in these cases paternity must be established.

To prove paternity in Pennsylvania both parents can sign a form called “Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity.” If both parents in fact sign this form there is no need to go to court to establish paternity. If you do wish to receive child support you must talk with the people at the Domestic Relations Office and show them the form that you both filled out. You can find these forms at hospitals, birthing centers and at the county Assistance offices. At any of those establishments they will be more than willing to help you fill out the necessary form. You can also contact the Bureau of Child Support to find a paternity establishment form.

A paternity establishment document for the state of Pennsylvania is important in many ways. After you have proven the true biological father, you will then be able to locate important and sometimes vital medical records concerning the father of your child. This may be very important in a life threatening situation for your child. You can also receive child support and health care coverage from the legal father of your child. This lessens the financial burden on you. If the biological father becomes disabled or in the event of his death your child may be able to receive Social Security benefits if paternity has been proven. These are just a few of the benefits that you may be losing because paternity has not been established.

If the alleged father will not admit he is in fact the father of your child, you can file a petition with the help of the county Domestic Relations Office. They will arraign for a petition to be filed and request a child support order to be put into place. A support conference will be held where you and the alleged father will be present. The alleged father at this time can admit to being the child’s father or deny your claim. If he denies the claim, the court can order a genetic test to be done. After the test is given, if the alleged father is the declared the legal father by the test, then paternity is established. Now, you will posses legal proof he is the father of your child. You will then be able to receive child support and the father will be able to decide on his own parental rights.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>