Oregon Child Custody

Posted by admin on April 27th, 2006

In Oregon the decision on child custody is determined by what is in the best interest and the welfare of the children. If a child has reached the age of 14 years they will be able to voice their preference. The court does however, make the final decision.

There will be no preference as to which parent is awarded custody but more often mothers are awarded custody because they are the main caretakers of the children because the fathers normally work and the mother stay as home.

There are a few set guidelines to aid the judge in deciding which parent is better fit to care for their minor children and they include:

* The preference of the children is at least 14 years of age.

* The relationship including emotional ties between the children and other family members.

* The interest both parents show in their children and toward their children.

* The desire to keep an active and continuing relationship with both parents and their children.

* If one parent has abused the other.

* The adjustment of the children in their home environment, their school, and their community.

In cases of joint custody in Oregon, the parent with the higher income is normally the person that is responsible for paying child support. There are a set of guidelines that will show just how much the support will be in cases of shared custody.

Most states are now leaning toward joint custody if it is at all feasible and there has been no evidence of any domestic abuse in the home. With joint custody, both parents can still make major decisions together for such things as medical, dental, school, and religious among any other items that need to be discussed. Normally, the children will spend time with each parent equally and will be able to continue talking with both parents on the phone, and having a close and loving relationship.

Sole custody can also be awarded in the state of Oregon. Sole custody means that only one parent makes the decisions in rearing the children, but they can not permanently move more than 60 miles without permission of the other parent or the court. The non-custodial parent usually has visitation rights unless it could be detrimental to the children.

The court will decide after hearing all the evidence and information which type of custody is better suited for the children as each child custody case is different.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>