Indiana Paternity

Posted by admin on April 27th, 2006

Child support cases and paternity cases are rising up all over the United States. The laws for presumption of paternity differ from state to state and there is only one true way to prove whether you are the father or not the father of a child. Each state has there own set of laws for the “Presumption of Paternity” and also for the “Rebuttal of Paternity”. These must be viewed closely if you want the father of your child to be an active parent and pay child support, or if you are not the father and you wish to prove the fact. You may also be the father and wish to prove your parentage so you can have an active role in your child’s life.

The Indiana Presumption of Paternity states that the biological father is the man that was married to the mother or that the child is born within 300 days after the dissolution, annulment, or death of the husband. If the couple lived together the same applies as above. Paternity can also be proven parentage by undergoing a genetic paternity test, if the test shows 99% probability then that person will be deemed the biological father.

If there is no one named as the biological father in according to Indiana law, the father can be established with the consent of the mother as the man you receive the child into his home, and openly states he is the father.

When there are any doubts to the paternity of a child you can petition the court for blood tests and DNA tests to be done. It is best to talk with an attorney before you do anything. Whether you are wishing to prove or disprove your fatherhood, everything must be done by the book. If you do not understand exactly how to go about the proceedings you may find yourself paying child support for a child that is not yours or never seeing a child that you the father of.

Most of the laws governing these cases are there for financial support of the child. The state does not want to pay out funds when they can find a parent to pay. Therefore, if you are not the father, talk with an attorney as soon as possible. You will need to file a paternity action in Court to deny that you are the parent of the child. If you have been paying child support already under a temporary order you can be reimbursed if the tests prove you are not the father.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>