Georgia Paternity

Posted by admin on April 27th, 2006

Every state has there own laws in effect that state how paternity is determined. But, there are other circumstances that are not covered such as children born out of wedlock. When this occurs and the mother wants to prove who the father is of her child, or the father desires to prove he is the father then other measures must be taken.

Many mothers wish to prove paternity, so they can receive financial support from the father, while fathers wish to be a part of their child’s life. When these issues arise, the court must be involved. When a mother files an action to obtain child support from an alleged biological father, and he disagrees with his parentage he can ask for blood or DNA testing to prove that he is or is not the father. A mother can also ask for this type of testing to prove the parentage of her child when the alleged father is not cooperating and does not want the responsibility of being a father.

In Georgia, by law, these are the rules set forth for paternity:
1. If parents are married when a child is born, the law states that the husband is the father, with no questions asked.
2. Parents that are not married at the time of the birth of their child can sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity. This record will be put on file and is considered prove of paternity.

When there is a question about the paternity of any child, the court can order genetic testing to be done. Parentage must be proven before you can receive child support, visitation rights or custody. During the case that is proving the paternity, you may ask for child support, visitation rights, and even custody of the child.

If you have doubts whether you are the father, then you need to do something before the court determines child support. If during a divorce, you sign any papers stating you will pay child support, you can not go back at a later date and contest your parentage to the child.

In some cases, if you are the mother and the child has not been born yet, you can still get some temporary help without blood tests. But, be sure he is the father. Because, he can also ask for a blood test and if he is proven not to be the father you may have to pay him any financial assistance that you have received from him.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>