Alabama Paternity

Posted by admin on April 27th, 2006

In Alabama, paternity is very important. The age of majority in Alabama is 19. Up until that age, parents have every opportunity to receive child support from a non-custodial parent. Every resource is also available when you need it. Contact your local offices concerning paternity and support issues. Help is available in locating an alleged parent and pursuing them for future and past child support. There are 3 types of ways to establish paternity in Alabama.

The first type is called uncontested consent process. This is similar to voluntary paternity. Both parents must agree that the alleged father is truly the father. This form is available at the hospital. After the delivery of your child an option is guaranteed to be given to the mother and father. If you wish to establish paternity this is a simple, fast way. You do not have to sign at this time. In the future these forms can be picked up at your local Department of Human Services. The Affidavit of Paternity, as it is called, creates legal paternity. Then an obligation of child support can be started. A trip to court may be in your future once you begin to pursue this. Administrative process is the second way to establish paternity. Your local DHS office can order genetic testing for you and your family member that is in question. There is no need, at this point, to involve the courts. Once a test has received its results, a 97 percentage total must be the number in which a judge will accept the test. He will then establish legal paternity and address what should be done with matters concerning the child.

Lastly, there is contested judicial process. When a father refuses to acknowledge paternity after genetic testing is done, this is the necessary action taken. Mothers also can cause disruption during this time. When parents refuse to cooperate with genetic testing, it gives the courts no choice but to get involved. They take matters into their own hands. If a marriage is in effect around the time the birth of the child occurs, then the husband is to be deemed as the father. This only holds up until paternity is established. Once it has been the mother has custodial rights. A father has the right to know his child and has the right to be around. Whether it is that the court rules in the mother’s or father’s favor, the concern is about where the child would be raised better. Whoever has custody should use that as a building block to encourage the non-custodial parent to step up and play a major role in their child’s development.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>